Type 2 Diabetes Diet – A Comprehensive Guide
Diabetes mellitus is a group of metabolic conditions identified by elevated blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia) in the bloodstream due to irregular insulin production and/or action. The pancreatic islets’ beta cells produce the hormone insulin, which regulates blood glucose levels by acting as a hypoglycemic agent.
Hyperglycemia gets linked to reduced capability, dysfunction, and organ failure, particularly in the kidneys, eyes, heart, nerves, teeth, and brain. Also, hyperglycemia enhances the auto-oxidation of glucose to produce free radicals. In turn, both macro and microvascular dysfunction results.
Healthy food habits can reduce your risk of getting diabetes consequences, including neuropathy (nerve damage), kidney illness, vision issues like glaucoma, cataracts, or diabetic retinopathy, as well as potentially fatal conditions like heart disease and stroke. Also, this is where HealthifyMe comes into the picture. The app helps you identify the right foods to combat metabolic syndrome.
What is Type 2 Diabetes?
A person with type 2 diabetes cannot maintain normal blood sugar levels because their body cannot utilise insulin as it should. This type affects 90% to 95% of patients with diabetes.
Most people get diagnosed as adults, and it takes several years to develop. However, it can be avoided or delayed by leading a healthy lifestyle that includes exercising, eating nourishing meals, and decreasing weight. Type 2 diabetes was also known as adult-onset or non-insulin-dependent diabetes.
During the last 20 years, it has spread more widely among children and teenagers. Most specialists agree that the leading causes of type 2 diabetes are obesity, inheritance, insulin resistance, and inactivity.
The HealthifyMe app is a full-featured fitness and health-tracking application that uses technology to track weight loss, water intake, exercise, and food intake. The five-step approach for a healthy metabolism offered by HealthifyPro includes features like Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
It is also helpful to receive real-time coaching guidance from professionals. Maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and enhancing your general health are made possible by these features.
Healthful Diet and the Management of Type 2 Diabetes
If you have diabetes, consult a dietician to help you develop a balanced eating plan. You can control your blood sugar (glucose) levels using the plan. Also, Evidence from prospective observational research and clinical trials has lately got used to support the idea that particular nutrients, foods, and dietary habits are vital in preventing and managing type 2 diabetes.
In addition to lowering the risk of developing diabetes, diets high in whole grains, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and legumes and low in refined grains, red/processed meats, and sugar-sweetened beverages enhance blood lipids and glycemic control in diabetics.
Individuals can modify several healthy dietary patterns to fit acceptable personal and cultural food preferences and calorie requirements for managing and controlling diabetes.
It may be challenging for patients with hyperglycemia to manage their blood sugar levels. However, maintaining blood sugar levels within the advised ranges is crucial. Any abrupt changes in your blood glucose levels may impact your health. If ignored, these disorders could become chronic organ conditions.
HealthifyMe provides several plans that could assist you in understanding the dietary recommendations made concerning your blood sugar level and other health issues. In addition, this app creates highly customised diet plans from nutritionists that consider your medical conditions and eating preferences.
Type 2 Diabetes Reference Diet Plan (chart): 7 Days Plan
- Breakfast: Vegetable oats porridge (1 medium-sized bowl)
- Mid-morning: boiled egg (1 egg)
- Lunch: Khichdi (1 bowl) with sauteed carrot and low-fat yoghurt
- Snacks: Lentil soup (1 small bowl) with multigrain breadsticks (4-5 sticks)
- Dinner: Chicken lettuce wraps (2 wraps), grilled mushrooms (each stick containing 4-5 button mushrooms) and baked crispy baby corn (5-6 pieces)
- Breakfast: Omelette of 2 eggs (approx. 60g) with multigrain bread (2 slices)
- Mid-morning: Fruit chaat (1 medium bowl)
- Lunch: Salmon fish (1 piece,150g, choose salmon once a week), boiled corn (1 small corn), quinoa and vegetable salad (1 bowl-approx. 50g)
- Snacks: Boiled channa chaat (1 medium size)
- Dinner: Lean chicken stuffed in bell peppers (2 pieces) and lettuce salad (1 small bowl)
- Breakfast: Quinoa spinach egg cheelas with herbal tea (2 pieces)
- Mid-morning: Sprout salad (1 small bowl- approx. 70g)
- Lunch: Multigrain pasta (1 small bowl) and vegetable soup
- Snacks: Baked kale chips (20-30g)
- Dinner: Grilled prawns (4-6 pieces) and spinach salad with avocado (half an avocado)
- Breakfast: Brown bread chicken sandwich (1 piece – 1 slice of brown bread is approx. 40g)
- Mid-morning: Amla juice ( approx. 150- 250 ml) in warm water
- Lunch: Baked chicken (1 breast piece, approx.54g), grilled broccoli (4 sticks), tomato soup (100ml)
- Snacks: Unsalted popcorn (1 small bowl)
- Dinner: Grilled fish (1 piece) with cucumber salad ( 2 cucumbers)
- Breakfast: Ragi dosa (2 medium) with chutney (1 medium-sized) and sambar (1 small bowl)
- Mid-morning: Berries with low-fat yoghurt (1 small bowl)
- Lunch: Brown rice egg and vegetable pulao (1 small bowl) with raita (1 small bowl)
- Snacks: Roasted makhana(35g)
- Dinner: Lentil, vegetable and chicken soup
- Breakfast: Oat pancakes (2 pieces)
- Mid-morning: whole fruits: Green apple/guava (1 whole fruit)
- Lunch: Rice (1 small bowl-approx 100g) with spicy paneer curry (1 small bowl), beetroot sabzi (1 bowl)
- Snacks: Baked multigrain crackers (6-7 pieces)
- Dinner: Baked tofu (3-4 sticks)with tomato soup (100ml)
- Breakfast: Poha with veggies and peanuts (1 small bowl) and a glass of low-fat chaas (1 medium glass- approx. 150-200ml)
- Mid-morning: A handful of almonds
- Lunch: Quinoa spaghetti with lean chicken (1 small bowl, approx. 250g), kale and cucumber salad (1 small bowl), healthy chia pudding (1 small bowl)
- Snacks: Roasted makhana ( 1 medium-sized bowl)
- Dinner: Multigrain roti (2 pieces) with mixed vegetables (1 small bowl) and curd
The HealthifyMe Note
Dietary choices are the primary contributors to type 2 diabetes. A balanced diet, frequent exercise, and weight control are all vital components of a healthy lifestyle intended to treat and avoid the problems of type 2 diabetes. Simply structuring your plate with a small serving of complex carbs with a generous helping of vegetables and using good fat to cook your protein can help improve your condition. Indian diets are typically carb-laden. The idea is to have a limited amount of carbs and never have it solo. Ensure your plate has the ideal mix of carbs, fat, protein and fibre.
Managing Type 2 Diabetes – The HealthifyMe Way
CGM, expert coach consultations, and a smart scale that analyses your weight in terms of body-fat percentage, muscle mass, etc., are all included in the HealthifyPro 2.0.
A metabolic panel is also available to assess your metabolic health. It is a secure system focusing on testing, evaluating, and ongoing observation. The expert nutritionists work with you to create a custom diet plan and keep track of your progress based on your assessment.
CGM allows you to check your blood sugar levels. As soon as you start using the CGM, you can monitor your blood glucose level alterations throughout the day. Then, you can control and regulate your blood glucose levels at any time of day using cutting-edge AI and coach interventions. Therefore, tracking your blood glucose levels is simple with a continuous glucose monitor.
You can connect your smartphone, laptop, or other chosen device to the AI-powered HealthifyPro Continuous Glucose Monitor. It gives you complete control over the weight loss process.
HealthifyMe’s BIOS ( a Continuous Glucose Monitor) allows you to track and control your diabetes independently. It is irrespective of whether you manage it with daily insulin injections, oral medications, or through food and exercise. The CGM can continuously monitor your blood sugar levels due to a tiny sensor attached to your arm.
It can sync with your laptop, PC, or smartphone, depending on your choice. The real-time, easily readable data from a CGM can alert you to changes in your blood glucose levels. Recent studies have also shown that CGM for type 2 diabetes effectively improves glucose management.
The HealthifyPRO 2.0 comes with a smart scale, calorie, sleep, and water tracking systems, medical consultation, and a metabolic panel that measures 85+ health parameters. While the smart scale monitors your progress, the metabolic health evaluation might identify underlying medical concerns that might hinder your goal.
Diabetes develops when the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin or when cells cannot absorb insulin to maintain a healthy blood glucose level. Dietary behaviours are the primary contributors to type 2 diabetes.
Healthy eating is vital whether you have diabetes or not. Include items that support blood sugar balance and promote satiety when planning meals for people with diabetes.
You may get advice on how to change your current eating habits from the health coaches at HealthifyMe, as well as information on the best foods to eat if you have diabetes.